vendredi 20 avril 2012

Parting Gift

       As a conclusion I wanted to say some words about the blog and its creation. 
To be honest, it was the first time that I had to create a blog. When the professor said you will be evaluated on a blog and the relation between food and literature on a particular topic, I have to say that I was quite scared. Indeed, But finally, I found a topic which I found interesting because of the cultural dimension as I am French living in London with British people. I really had fun making it because in fact for some article I found myself like a detective trying to discover English traditions for breakfast. The other funny thing is that by writing this blog, I had a little argument with British people of my flat about bread. According to them, toast is bread however, according to me, toast and bread are two different things because indeed, I consider bread, fresh one such as baguette. It was very interesting to see and understand that and we conclude that we did not have the same representation of bread because of the different culture and traditions we live in. 
       I have also tried to relate breakfast with different scene in literature that I like and thought they were interesting in this particular topic. 


Here is the list of the books I used in this blog: 
-Tolkien J.R.R, The Hobbit (1937), Houghton Mifflin Harcourt; Anv edition (September 21, 2007)
Levin C. and Perley W.(2002), The Good Enough to Eat Breakfast Cookbook. Grand Central Publishing.
- Beeton I, Beeton's Book of Household Management (1861),  Oxford University Press, USA; Abridged edition (August 1, 2008)
- Read J. Manson M., The Great British Breakfast (1981), Michael Joseph Ltd; 1st Ed. edition (June 22, 1981)
-Acton E., Modern Cookery for Private Families (1845), Southover Press (August 1, 2002). 
- Bronte C., Jane Eyre (1847), Readable Classics (October 19, 2009)
- Somerset Maugham W., Three Fat Women of Antibes (1933), Penguin Classics (September 1, 1992)
- Toklas A. B., The Alice B. Toklas Cook Book (1954), Harper Perennial (August 10, 2010)
- Rolling J.K, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (1998), Scholastic Paperbacks (September 1, 2000)
- Hibbert C, Let's eat Breakfast (2011), Evans Brothers (November 30, 2011)
- Probst P., 'Bobby the Dog' in A Little Golden Book (unknown), Golden Press (January 1, 1961)
- Rolling J.K, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (1997), Scholastic Paperbacks; 1st edition (September 8, 1999)
- Prevert J., 'Déjeuner du Matin', La Cinquieme Saison (unknown), Gallimard (2000)


    To conclude, I would like to share Jacques Prevert's poem Dejeuner du Matin (Breakfast) that I really like because the rhythm is very slow and it is very French the way the persona behaves.  

"Il a mis le café
Dans la tasse

Il a mis le lait

Dans la tasse de café

Il a mis le sucre



Dans le café au lait
Avec la petite cuiller
Il a tourné
Il a bu le café au lait
Et il a reposé la tasse
Sans me parler
Il a allumé
Une cigarette
Il a fait des ronds
Avec la fumée
Il a mis les cendres
Dans le cendrier
Sans me parler
Sans me regarder
Il s'est levé
Il a mis
Son chapeau sur sa tête
Il a mis son manteau de pluie
Parce qu'il pleuvait
Et il est parti
Sous la pluie
Sans une parole
Sans me regarder
Et moi j'ai pris
Ma tête dans ma main
Et j'ai pleuré."


Translation

He poured the coffee

Into the cup

He poured the milk

Into the cup of coffee

He added the sugar 

To the coffee and milk

He stirred it

With a teaspoon

He drank the coffee

And put back the cup
Without speaking to me
He lit a cigarette
He blew some rings
With the smoke
He flicked the ashes 
Into the ashtray
Without speaking to me
Without looking at me
He got up
He put his hat
On his head
He put on 
His raincoat
Because it was raining
He went out 
Into the rain
Without a word
Without looking at me
And I

I took my head
In my hands
And I wept.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire